[Gate-users] problem when combining repeater and source

Sarah Blind sarah.blind at univ-lorraine.fr
Tue Jan 25 16:18:21 CET 2022

Dear Gate users,

I have a problem defining at the same time a repeater (of some sphere) and my source.mac file.
Independently, each one works fine :

    * I can generate as much spheres as described through my repeater as long as no source is defined ;
    * My source.mac file works without the repeater.

I would like a working source and a working repeater together...

I'm working with a sphere (called cell below) which I want to be filled with a certain nomber of other spheres (clusters).

/gate/world/daughters/name cell
/gate/world/daughters/insert sphere
/gate/cell/geometry/setRmin 0.0 mm
/gate/cell/geometry/setRmax 0.5 mm
/gate/cell/placement/setTranslation 0 0 0 mm
/gate/cell/setMaterial Water

/gate/cell/daughters/name cluster
/gate/cell/daughters/insert sphere
/gate/cluster/geometry/setRmin 0 mm
/gate/cluster/geometry/setRmax 0.1 mm
/gate/cluster/placement/setTranslation 0 0 0 mm
/gate/cluster/setMaterial Water

For this purpose I tried two ways :

1) I used a generic repeater

BQ_BEGIN

Time s
Rotation deg
Translation mm

0 0 0 0 0 -0.146833 -0.279524 -0.0599287
0 0 0 0 0 0.163004 0.0753492 0.111638
0 0 0 0 0 0.31443 -0.0819429 0.0332641

BQ_END

2) I used a linear repeater.

Both methods lead to the same problem : with more than 3 volumes repeated, Gate shuts down :

BQ_BEGIN

*** Break *** segmentation violation

BQ_END

If I lower the nomber of primaries (to 1 or 2) I'm able to repeate 4 volumes instead of 3...

My source is very simple :

BQ_BEGIN

BQ_END

BQ_BEGIN

/gate/source/addSource mybeam gps
/gate/source/mybeam/gps/particle gamma
/gate/source/mybeam/gps/pos/type Beam
/gate/source/mybeam/gps/ene/mono 170 keV
/gate/source/mybeam/gps/ene/type Gauss
/gate/source/mybeam/gps/ene/sigma 1.0 keV
/gate/source/mybeam/gps/direction 0 0 -1

/gate/source/mybeam/gps/position 0 0 4 mm
/gate/source/mybeam/gps/type Volume
/gate/source/mybeam/gps/shape Cylinder
/gate/source/mybeam/gps/radius 0 0 mm
/gate/source/mybeam/gps/radius 1 mm
/gate/source/mybeam/gps/halfz 0.01 cm
/gate/source/mybeam/gps/ang/type beam2d

BQ_END

with the following physic :

BQ_BEGIN

/gate/physics/addPhysicsList QGSP_BERT_EMV

/gate/random/setEngineName MersenneTwister

/gate/physics/addAtomDeexcitation

###############
### GAMMAS ###
###############

/gate/physics/addProcess PhotoElectric gamma
/gate/physics/processes/PhotoElectric/setModel LivermoreModel
/gate/physics/processes/PhotoElectric/setAugerElectron true
/gate/physics/processes/PhotoElectric/setDeltaRayCut 10 eV
/gate/physics/processes/PhotoElectric/setXRayCut 10 eV
/gate/physics/processes/PhotoElectric/setStepFunction e- 0.2 0.1 nm

/gate/physics/addProcess Compton gamma
/gate/physics/processes/Compton/setModel LivermoreModel
/gate/physics/processes/Compton/setStepFunction e- 0.2 0.1 nm

/gate/physics/addProcess RayleighScattering
/gate/physics/processes/RayleighScattering/setModel LivermoreModel

# transformation of a photon into an electron-positron pair

/gate/physics/addProcess GammaConversion
/gate/physics/processes/GammaConversion/setModel LivermoreModel

####################
### ELECTRONS #####
####################

/gate/physics/addProcess ElectronIonisation
/gate/physics/processes/ElectronIonisation/setModel LivermoreModel e-
/gate/physics/processes/ElectronIonisation/setModel PenelopeModel e+
/gate/physics/processes/ElectronIonisation/setStepFunction e- 0.2 0.1 nm

/gate/physics/addProcess Bremsstrahlung e-
/gate/physics/addProcess Bremsstrahlung e+
/gate/physics/processes/Bremsstrahlung/setModel LivermoreModel e-
/gate/physics/processes/Bremsstrahlung/setModel PenelopeModel e+

/gate/physics/addProcess eMultipleScattering e-
/gate/physics/addProcess eMultipleScattering e+
/gate/physics/processes/eMultipleScattering/setModel UrbanModel e-
/gate/physics/processes/eMultipleScattering/setModel UrbanModel e+

BQ_END

Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem?
Many thanks for the help !

Sarah Blind