[Gate-users] Attach DoseActor to Cylinder

David Sarrut David.Sarrut at creatis.insa-lyon.fr
Thu Dec 10 06:54:53 CET 2020

Hello Daniela,

the DoseActor is attached to the PMMA cylinder, so it will only store
deposited energy of events that occur *inside* the cylinder, whatever it is
larger or smaller than the cylinder.

You can change the size of the DoseActor with something like:
/gate/actor/MyActor/setSize 5 5 5 cm
If the size is larger than the cylinder, areas in the (parallelepiped)
DoseActor that are outside the cylinder will store zero.
If the size is smaller than the cylinder (I think it is the case by
default), the DoseActor will not store all deposited energy in the
cylinder.

HTH,
best,
David

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 10:07 PM Botnariuc, Daniela <
daniela.botnariuc.19 at ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> Dear Gate users,
>

> I am simulating a proton pencil beam and I am trying to score the
> depth-dose curve in a cylindrical geometry. When I attach the dose actor to
> the cylindrical geometry, it appears that the dose is being calculated in a
> box as opposed to a cylinder. I ran the same simulation but scoring dose in
> a cuboid geometry whose X and Y lengths were the same as the diameter (for
> the same depth resolution) of the cylindrical volume and I get the exact
> same curve. How would I define the dose actor in order to score dose in the
> cylinder?
>

> #GEOMETRY
>
> /gate/world/daughters/name   PMMA
>
> /gate/world/daughters/insert cylinder
>
> /gate/PMMA/geometry/setRmax 4.08 cm
>
> /gate/PMMA/geometry/setRmin 0. mm
>
> /gate/PMMA/geometry/setHeight 20 cm
>
> /gate/PMMA/placement/setTranslation 0 0 0.10 m
>
> /gate/PMMA/setMaterial Water
>
> /gate/PMMA/vis/setColor cyan
>
> /gate/PMMA/describe
>

> #DOSE ACTOR
>
> /gate/actor/addActor   DoseActor   depthdose
>
> /gate/actor/depthdose/attachTo   PMMA
>
> /gate/actor/depthdose/stepHitType   random
>
> /gate/actor/depthdose/setPosition   0 0 0 mm
>
> /gate/actor/depthdose/setResolution   1  1 1000 mm
>
> /gate/actor/depthdose/saveEveryNSeconds   60
>
> /gate/actor/depthdose/enableDose   true
>
> /gate/actor/depthdose/enableUncertaintyDose   true
>

> Thank you in advance for your time.
>

> Best wishes,
>
> Daniela

David Sarrut, Phd
Directeur de recherche CNRS
CREATIS, UMR CNRS 5220, Inserm U1206
Centre de lutte contre le cancer Léon Bérard
28 rue Laënnec, 69373 Lyon cedex 08
Tel : 04 78 78 51 51 / 06 74 72 05 42
http://www.creatis.insa-lyon.fr/~dsarrut