[Gate-users] Optical processes error - No surface command enabled

Vesna Cuplov vesna.cuplov at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 16:49:54 CET 2015

Hello David,

I just tried the example_OPTICAL from Gate v7.0 and it works. I tried both
the Optical_System.mac (in that macro I had to change the EngineSeed from
123456789 to a smaller number like 210.... something was not behaving
properly with the random seed generator on my installation, but that's not
a major issue).
This test means that the macros from the example_OPTICAL are correct and
that there is a problem with your install I think.

I see that you use Geant4 10.0.3 instead of the recommended Geant4 9.6.p03.
Also you do not need to use an external CLHEP version. Geant4 distributes a
minimal version of CLHEP with the toolkit. So when configuring Geant4
before its compilation, you can leave the GEANT4_USE_SYSTEM_CLHEP OFF.  If
you still wish to use an other CLHEP version for GATE, it is recommended to
use 2.1.3.1.

I think you should redo your install following the installation guide and
the recommended software versions.

Hope this helps,
vesna