[Gate-users] Cannot get visualization to work with GATE

Naser Darwish naser.darwish at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 08:42:02 CEST 2009

Dear GATE users,

I have geant4.9.1.p02 with GATE 4.0 installed and I can get the
simulation to work without visualization. However, I would like to be
able to use the visualization openGL but I cannot get it to work. What
is the mechanism of the steps for visualization prior to and after
simulation? I do not know how to get the visualization to work.  I am
following the GATE manual in setting up the visualization script and I
know that openGL should be installed because when I initialize, I get
the following comment:

On this machine the G4VIS_USE_OPENGLX=1

This what I type for visualization in the GATE script

#VISUALIZATION
/vis/open OGLSX
/vis/viewer/reset
/vis/viewer/set/viewpointThetaPhi 90 90
/vis/viewer/zoom 2
/vis/viewer/set/style surface
/vis/drawVolume
/tracking/storeTrajectory 1
/vis/scene/endOfEventAction accumulate
/vis/viewer/update
/vis/verbose 2
/gate/geometry/enableAutoUpdate

The error message I get is:

ERROR: G4VisManager::IsValidView(): Current view is not valid.
ERROR: G4VisManager::PrintInvalidPointers:
  Graphics system is OpenGLStoredX but:
  Null viewer pointer. Use "/vis/viewer/create".

I appreciate the help.

Best regards,

Naser