[Gate-users] investigating the spatial resolution

Martin, Goettlich martin.goettlich at desy.de
Mon Jan 14 12:40:26 CET 2008

Dear Gate-users,

let me first thank the developers for this very nice tool which allowed
me to define a complete PET detecter in just a couple of days! Starting
from scratch with GEANT4 would have been much more time consuming.

I want to determine the spatial resolution of my system. How would you
approach this problem and what are the figures of merit to quote which
can be used for comparisons to other systems? So far I looked at the
FWHM of a point source. Are there standard phantoms or sources defined
which can be used for this purpose?

I would like to ask you if you know of any comprehensive software tool
which allows me to reconstruct images from a sinogram. I read a few
articles and wrote an own reconstruction but surely there a quite
sophisticated methods and algorithms on the market. I found a package
called ASPIRE. Do you have experiences with that package

Thanks for you help,

Martin Goettlich, PhD
DESY Hamburg