[Gate-users] Scoring neutron dose in proton beams

Botnariuc, Daniela daniela.botnariuc.19 at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Nov 18 12:48:48 CET 2022

Dear GATE experts,

I am trying to score total neutron dose in proton beam.

After some tests, I understand that if I filter by particle (neutron), this will only score dose deposited from the neutron and not from the cascade of interactions that follow, as I would like (please correct me if I am wrong).

I was wondering if using the parent filter (addParentParticle - neutron) would be suitable. Will this filter score dose from the "children" particles of neutron and the neutron itself, equivalent to the OnlyIncludeIfParticleOrAncestorNamed filter set to 'neutron' in TOPAS? Or does it only include dose from the children particles of neutrons and not the parent neutrons?

Thank you in advance for your help. I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
Daniela Botnariuc