[Gate-users] Too high count rates in thyroid scintigraphy simulations

Träuble, Korbinian Linus korbinian.traeuble at tum.de
Mon Aug 29 10:44:01 CEST 2022

Dear all,

I’m a master student and try to replicate the Thyroid Gamma camera Mediso Nucline TH-22 with GATE. Therefore I’ve 3d printed a phantom, made a CT of it, filled it with Tc99m and water, and acquired some measurements of it.

For the source, I am using the segmented CT scan of the phantom and specified the activity filled into the phantom with the labels.

Now, I am facing the problem that the simulation of the measurement in GATE yield much higher count rates (by roughly 60%) than the original measurement. I was playing around with all kind of things in GATE, but did not yet get a better result. I have also checked for overlapping geometries already.

Have I missed something at the camera model that would reduce count rates? Is my physics model wrong or did I define my source wrong? There is also the possibility that there is something wrong with my experiment setup, and not with my GATE simulation.

I have attached some screenshots of the phantom and the source mhd files.

Any help is highly appreciated. Maybe I’m missing something obvious.

Cheers,
Korbinian Träuble

Code:

### MANDATORY
/gate/geometry/setMaterialDatabase {dataDir}/GateMaterials.db

### World
/gate/world/setMaterial                                           Air
/gate/world/geometry/setXLength                                   50 cm
/gate/world/geometry/setYLength                                   50 cm
/gate/world/geometry/setZLength                                   50 cm

### Camera model
## Scanner Head
/gate/world/daughters/name SPECThead
/gate/world/daughters/insert box
/gate/SPECThead/geometry/setXLength             300 mm
/gate/SPECThead/geometry/setYLength             120 mm
/gate/SPECThead/geometry/setZLength             300 mm
/gate/SPECThead/placement/setTranslation        0 -61.75 0 mm
/gate/SPECThead/setMaterial                     Air

## CRYSTAL
/gate/SPECThead/daughters/name crystal
/gate/SPECThead/daughters/insert box
/gate/crystal/geometry/setXLength             230 mm
/gate/crystal/geometry/setYLength             6.4   mm
/gate/crystal/geometry/setZLength             210 mm
/gate/crystal/placement/setTranslation        0. 0. 0. mm
/gate/crystal/setMaterial                     NaITl
/gate/crystal/vis/setColor                    red

## Collimator
/gate/SPECThead/daughters/name collimator
/gate/SPECThead/daughters/insert box
/gate/collimator/geometry/setXLength            230 mm
/gate/collimator/geometry/setYLength            55 mm
/gate/collimator/geometry/setZLength            210 mm
/gate/collimator/placement/setTranslation       0. 30.7 0. mm
/gate/collimator/setMaterial                    Tungsten
/gate/collimator/vis/setColor                   yellow
/gate/collimator/vis/forceWireframe

#For Parallel Hexagonal holes:
/gate/collimator/daughters/name hole1
/gate/collimator/daughters/insert hexagone
/gate/hole1/geometry/setHeight      55 mm
/gate/hole1/geometry/setRadius      1.5 mm
/gate/hole1/placement/setRotationAxis 1 0 0
/gate/hole1/placement/setRotationAngle 90 deg
/gate/hole1/setMaterial              Air
/gate/hole1/vis/setColor             blue
/gate/hole1/vis/forceWireframe

# Repeat the hexagone in an array to achieve frame
/gate/hole1/repeaters/insert cubicArray
/gate/hole1/cubicArray/setRepeatNumberX 41
/gate/hole1/cubicArray/setRepeatNumberY 1
/gate/hole1/cubicArray/setRepeatNumberZ 65
/gate/hole1/cubicArray/setRepeatVector 5.542562584 0.0 3.2 mm
/gate/hole1/vis/forceWireframe

/gate/hole1/repeaters/insert linear
/gate/hole1/linear/setRepeatNumber 2
/gate/hole1/linear/setRepeatVector 2.771281292 0.0 1.6  mm

#Attach sensitive detector crystal to SPECThead
/gate/systems/SPECThead/crystal/attach crystal
/gate/crystal/attachCrystalSD
/gate/systems/SPECThead/describe

### PHANTOM
# Import the Thyroid Volume from the metaimage file
/gate/world/daughters/name                     patient_thyroid
/gate/world/daughters/insert                   ImageNestedParametrisedVolume
/gate/patient_thyroid/geometry/setImage               {pathphantom}
/gate/patient_thyroid/geometry/setRangeToMaterialFile    {dataDir}/AttenuationRange.dat
/gate/patient_thyroid/placement/setTranslation        43.5 41.0 -0.8 mm

AttenuationRange.dat
3
-2000 -10  Air
-10   1    Water
1     2000 PETG

##  PHYSICS
/gate/physics/addPhysicsList emstandard_opt4

##ACTORS

/gate/actor/addActor               SimulationStatisticActor stat
/gate/actor/stat/save              {outputFolder}/stat.txt
/gate/actor/stat/saveEveryNSeconds 20

/gate/actor/addActor  EnergySpectrumActor                MyActor
/gate/actor/MyActor/save                                 {outputFolder}/MyOutputFile.txt
/gate/actor/MyActor/energySpectrum/setEmin               50 keV
/gate/actor/MyActor/energySpectrum/setEmax               200 keV
/gate/actor/MyActor/energySpectrum/setNumberOfBins       300
/gate/actor/MyActor/attachTo                         crystal
/gate/actor/MyActor/saveAsText                               true

### INITIALIZATION :
/gate/run/initialize

### SOURCE
/gate/source/addSource                 thyroidSource voxel
/gate/source/thyroidSource/reader/insert image
/gate/source/thyroidSource/imageReader/translator/insert              range
/gate/source/thyroidSource/imageReader/rangeTranslator/readTable      {dataDir}/ActivityRange.dat
/gate/source/thyroidSource/imageReader/rangeTranslator/describe       1
/gate/source/thyroidSource/imageReader/readFile {pathsource}
/gate/source/thyroidSource/imageReader/verbose 1
/gate/source/thyroidSource/setPosition -36.412 -13.887 -33.5 mm
/gate/source/thyroidSource/dump        1
/gate/source/thyroidSource/attachTo              patient_thyroid
/gate/source/thyroidSource/gps/particle gamma
/gate/source/thyroidSource/gps/ene/type Mono
/gate/source/thyroidSource/gps/ene/mono 140.5 keV
/gate/source/thyroidSource/gps/ang/type iso
/gate/source/thyroidSource/gps/pos/confine NULL
/gate/source/thyroidSource/setForcedUnstableFlag true
/gate/source/thyroidSource/setForcedHalfLife     21636 s #1 s 6h half-life

ActivityRange.dat:
4
1 1   2.5493227313607107
2 2   0
3 3   7.584677308945539
4 4   0

### DIGITIZER
#Energyblurring
/gate/digitizer/Singles/insert adder

/gate/digitizer/Singles/insert readout
/gate/digitizer/Singles/readout/setDepth 1

/gate/digitizer/Singles/insert blurring
/gate/digitizer/Singles/blurring/setLaw inverseSquare
/gate/digitizer/Singles/blurring/inverseSquare/setResolution 0.1 #0.08 default, 0.095 bisher immer
/gate/digitizer/Singles/blurring/inverseSquare/setEnergyOfReference 140.5 keV

#spatialblurring
/gate/digitizer/Singles/insert spblurring
/gate/digitizer/Singles/spblurring/setSpresolution 3.2 mm
/gate/digitizer/Singles/spblurring/verbose 0

#threshholder
/gate/digitizer/Singles/insert thresholder
/gate/digitizer/Singles/thresholder/setThreshold 126.45 keV
/gate/digitizer/Singles/insert upholder
/gate/digitizer/Singles/upholder/setUphold 154.55 keV

### OUTPUT
/gate/output/projection/enable
/gate/output/projection/setFileName {outputFolder}/projection
/gate/output/projection/pixelSizeX 0.9 mm
/gate/output/projection/pixelSizeY 0.9 mm
/gate/output/projection/pixelNumberX 256
/gate/output/projection/pixelNumberY 256
/gate/output/projection/projectionPlane ZX

/gate/output/tree/enable
/gate/output/tree/addFileName {outputFolder}/output.npy
/gate/output/tree/addCollection Singles

### RANDOM
/gate/random/setEngineName Ranlux64
/gate/random/setEngineSeed 123456789

### EXPERIMENT
/gate/application/setTimeSlice  300  s
/gate/application/setTimeStart  0 s
/gate/application/setTimeStop   300   s

# L E T' S   R U N   T H E   S I M U L A T I O N  !
/gate/application/startDAQ
[cid:A0BDFB23-71F3-4335-80FE-56C1A9F49640][cid:AC3D6207-94AA-4D29-B9B7-AAEFBEA9CDD4]