[Gate-users] Phase space as source - no particle type defined

Jan Gajewski jan.gajewski at ifj.edu.pl
Mon Aug 31 10:53:16 CEST 2020

Dear gate users,

I have a problem with using a phase space as a source in the simulations.
It seems that not all particle types are recognised. I am using Gate 9.0
but the same behaviour is for Gate 8.2.  An example below. I am attaching
also the phase space source file and the example can be downloaded from:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z2enipv7oudy4r2/psActor%20as%20source.zip?dl=0

I have a phase space with particles: neutron, gamma, nu_e, proton, e-, O16,
anti_nu_e. The problem is with O16. When I add a line
/gate/source/phaseSpaceSource/setParticleType        proton
then the simulation is running and all particles are simulated as they are,
instead of O16 which is replaced by proton. Without this command I am
getting an error:
GateSourcePhaseSpace.cc (l.220): No particle type defined in phase space
file.

I found that it is the same with some other elements in the source, as
Nitrogen, Carbon, etc.

#=====================================================
# VISUALISATION
#=====================================================
/vis/disable

#=====================================================
# VERBOSITY
#=====================================================
/gate/verbose Beam      100

#=====================================================
# MATERIALS
#=====================================================
/gate/geometry/setMaterialDatabase GateMaterials.db

#=====================================================
# GEOMETRY
#=====================================================
# WORLD INITIALIZATION
/gate/world/geometry/setXLength                     10 cm
/gate/world/geometry/setYLength                     10 cm
/gate/world/geometry/setZLength                     10 cm
/gate/world/setMaterial                             Air

#=====================================================
# PHYSICS
#=====================================================
# physics list with electromagnetic opt. 4
/gate/physics/addPhysicsList QGSP_BIC_HP_EMZ

#=====================================================
# ACTORS
#=====================================================
# statistics actor
/gate/actor/addActor SimulationStatisticActor simStat
/gate/actor/simStat/attachTo world
/gate/actor/simStat/saveEveryNSeconds 60
/gate/actor/simStat/save Results/simStat.out

#=====================================================
# INITIALISATION
#=====================================================
/gate/run/initialize

#=====================================================
# SOURCE
#=====================================================
/gate/source/addSource phaseSpaceSource              phaseSpace
/gate/source/phaseSpaceSource/addPhaseSpaceFile      psActorSource.root
# /gate/source/phaseSpaceSource/setParticleType        proton

#=====================================================
# RANDOM
#=====================================================
/gate/random/setEngineName MersenneTwister
/gate/random/setEngineSeed auto
/gate/random/verbose 0

#=====================================================
# ACQUISITION SETTINGS
#=====================================================
/gate/application/setTotalNumberOfPrimaries 833
/gate/application/setTimeStart 0. s
/gate/application/setTimeStop  100. s
/gate/application/startDAQ

Thanks in advance for any help.

---
Jan Gajewski

*jan.gajewski at ifj.edu.pl <jan.gajewski at ifj.edu.pl>**Institute of Nuclear
Physics* (IFJ PAN)
Radzikowskiego 152, 31-342 Kraków, Poland
phone: (+48) 12 662 8331