[Gate-users] errors in Gate Documnet

David Sarrut David.Sarrut at creatis.insa-lyon.fr
Fri Oct 25 08:10:51 CEST 2019

Dear Maryam,

you are right, there are mistakes and unclear explanations in the
documentation, not only in the old one (7.2) but also in the current one.

You should, however, keep in mind the following: OpenGate is an open
collaboration composed of researchers from multiple countries and NONE of
them is paid for this project. There are no specific funds allocated to the
project. The participation in the collaboration is thus based on
voluntarism only. The core of the project is to collaborate together in
order to mutualize codes and experiences, allowing the community (aka
researchers that are interested in medical physics Monte Carlo simulations)
to avoid "reinventing the wheel" and go forward together.

That being said, we just launched a new documentation system:
https://opengate.readthedocs.io. I thus invite you and all other users to
propose some changes, corrections and modifications in the documentation.
It should be easy: on the page you want to modify, click on the small black
menu on the bottom right of the screen ('latest') and click on 'Edit on
GitHub'. It will open an online editor allowing to modify the text. This is
a kind of wiki, you can find information about the markup language here
(restructured text): http://docutils.sourceforge.net/rst.html. Once the
modification is done, at the bottom of the screen click on 'Create a new
branch for this commit and start a pull request.'. It will create a pull
request that we will be able to merge with the current documentation. If
help is needed during this process, do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you to allow me to point this out. If only a few % of all Gate users
could contribute from time to time to the documentation, for example by
correcting typos or suggesting unclear rewording, I am convinced that the
documentation will improve quickly!

I also take this opportunity to warmly thanks all GATE source code
contributors, you can find the list here:
https://github.com/OpenGATE/Gate/blob/develop/AUTHORS
<https://github.com/OpenGATE/Gate/blob/develop/AUTHORS>
(It has not been updated since a few months, so please do not hesitate to
tell me if someone is missing).

Best,
David

--