[Gate-users] Defining an activity distribution with background

Cassandra Miller cassandramiller at phas.ubc.ca
Thu Nov 14 05:04:20 CET 2019

Hi Satyajit,

Have you tried defining a cold source? You can use the "forbid" command,
for example:

/gate/world/daughters/name cold_area
/gate/world/daughters/insert cylinder
/gate/cold_area/vis/forceWireframe
/gate/cold_area/vis/setColor green
/gate/cold_area/geometry/setRmax 3.0 cm
/gate/cold_area/geometry/setHeight 1. cm

/gate/source/addSource number1
/gate/source/number1/setActivity 100000. becquerel
/gate/source/number1/gps/particle gamma
/gate/source/number1/setType backtoback
/gate/source/number1/gps/type Volume
/gate/source/number1/gps/shape Cylinder
/gate/source/number1/gps/radius 5. cm
/gate/source/number1/gps/halfz 0.5 cm
/gate/source/number1/gps/centre 0. 0. 0. cm
/gate/source/number1/gps/monoenergy 511. keV
/gate/source/number1/gps/angtype iso
*/gate/source/number1/gps/Forbid cold_area *
/gate/source/number1/dump 1

It might work if when you define your background, you forbid the area
where the hot rods are, and then you define your hot rods separately as
you are already doing. I'm not sure if it will fix your problem but it's
worth a shot. Then you also can define the rods with whatever activity
you want, without having to take into account the background.

Best,
Cassandra Miller
PhD Student
Quantitative Tomography Lab & Medical Imaging Research Group
Department of Physics & Astronomy, University of British Columbia