[Gate-users] Internal dosimetry 131-Iodine

Maikol Salas Ramirez mmsalas at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 09:59:44 CEST 2019

Hi Nicollas

1- One option is to calculate the S-Value (Gy/(MBq-s)) in each voxel (or
organ) of your phantom. Mainly it means to put the source in the group of
voxels or organs that you consider is going to be locate the source and run
a simulation.
Then if you have a bio-kinetic curve (Activity Vs. Time) for each organ,
the integral will have unit of MBq-s. Then you can multiply your voxels for
this value.

2- If you already has bio-distribution (activity distribution images) of
the source, run a simulation for each time point, therefore each voxel will
have unit of Gy/s. Again you should calculate the TIAC value for the
bio-kinetic curve (Activity/Administered-Activity Vs. Time) the integral
will have unit of seconds (s).

3- Last option if you have a full decay profile (Activity Vs. Time) of your
source in the organs of interest you can run a fun simulation, which
include the activity decay.

All are equivalent, it depends of the information that you already have.
The tricky part is to find the way to validate your calculations. I
recommend you, just chose that option that better fit with your experiment,
and first try all with a simple geometry (sphere) and compare with manually
calculation then go for a larger simulation.

Best regards
Maikol