[Gate-users] Physics list usage for medical imaging simulations

Niels van der Werf nrvdwerf at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 17:37:24 CEST 2018

Dear all,

My question relates to the physics list which is necessary for imaging simulations. I try to run the NEMA sensitivity test on a SPECT system with Gate. However, my results differ from the manufacturers data by a factor of two, where my sensitivity is only 50%.

I’m therefore looking into my code, to find where this difference is coming from. This made me dive deeper in the physics builder mechanism, which made me doubt about my choices there. My current definition is as follows:

/gate/physics/addPhysicsList emstandard_opt3

This is the only thing in my script which defines the physics part. I have two questions about this:
1. Is this the current physics list for medical imaging (140 keV)?
2. Is it enough to only define this list, or do I also need to put in information about the particles or processes which have to be used in the simulation?

Thanks in advance for your help with this.

Best regards,
Niels van der Werf