[Gate-users] queries about dose point kernels simulation

Ashok Tiwari tiwarias at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 16 18:52:37 CEST 2018

I am trying to understand how dose estimation works in the GATE. Following  are the questions I am curious about:

a) How could we determine the size of phantom sphere (say spherical water phantom)? One published paper says, this can be given by 24*0.05*R_CSDA whereas, another paper says sphere size = no. of concentric shells times dosel size. If we compute the sphere size using these method we will get different values; order of magnitude different!

b) In the simulation of photons dose point kernels: how could we vary dosel size with the corresponding radial distance? For example, I would like to set: radial distance 0 - 30 mm for the dosel size 0.5*0.5*0.5 mm^3.  Does the following command works for this dosel size setting?

/gate/actor/dosemeasurement/setSize 0.5 0.5 0.5 mm

I would welcome any hints, insights or suggestions.

Regards,
Ashok