[Gate-users] Reflective surface not totally reflecting?

Jenny Nilsson jenny.nilsson at radfys.gu.se
Mon Mar 24 16:41:17 CET 2014

Hello Amy and other Gate users,

If you have a dielectric-dielectric surface with a polished finish, then optical photons can leave the volume through refraction. Reflectivity = 1 means that no optical photons are absorbed by the surface, but optical photons can still leave if refraction is chosen instead of reflection.

If you want all optical photons to be reflected then use a dielectric-metal surface with efficiency set to 0.

Or

Use a dielectric-dielectric surface with ground-front-painted or polsihed-front-painted finish
Ground-front-painted: reflects all optical photons against a rough surface.
Polsihed-front-painted finish: reflects all optical photons against a polished surface.

Regards
Jenny Nilsson