[Gate-users] Bremsstrahlung not working properly

thibaultmauxion thibault.mauxion at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 18:54:56 CET 2014

Hi Chris,

I know there are (or used to be) discrepancies in beta (plus or minus) spectra for the built-in radionuclides sources (due to the fact that these sources were created for imaging purpose) but not sure it would impact your results.

However, have a look at this paper, especially section II.A.1.

The paper mentions an underestimation of photon abundance with energies higher than 500 keV by MC code, as compared to measurements.
Since we're talking about normalized data, you can also see it as an overestimation of photon abundance for energies lower than 500 keV. I actually happen to have the data in my lab and I noticed a difference of a factor up to 2 for photons around 100-200 keV.

As far I as know, it is currently recommended to use the measured spectrum.

Hope this helps.

Thibault

Post-doctoral fellow
Division of Medical Imaging Physics
Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions
JHOC 4260, 601 N. Caroline street, Baltimore, MD, 21287
Tel: +1 410 502 3772
Fax: +1 410 614 1060
http://www.hopkinsradiology.org/dmip/