[Gate-users] About understanding the root files

Simon Stute gate.stute at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 11:19:01 CET 2014

Hi Tasneem,

These graphs are histograms. So Y axis is the number of events (Hits,
Singles or Coincidences your are looking at) per histogram bin. The X axis
corresponds to the leave you are looking at.
For the energy, it is quite straightforward.
Each event has a different eventID, but as you are looking at a histogram,
the X axis is not continuous, it is binned = it is cut into intervals. So
it counts the number of event corresponding to this interval.

If you want to do more with the root browser, you should have a look at the
official root documentation.
Otherwise you can analyse the data inside the root file by using the
built-in C++ interpretor of the root software.
You can also refer to the root documentation for a deep understanding.
Otherwise, just take the C++ code from one of the benchmarks in the Gate
repository and modify it to do what you want to do, that's how everybody
will usually start.

Cheers,
Simon