[Gate-users] Using multiple point sources as a background source

David Sarrut David.Sarrut at creatis.insa-lyon.fr
Wed Mar 27 09:51:47 CET 2013

Hello,

there is, in theory, no limitation, but there is a memory leak when using
gps source (from G4) that prevent to use too many sources. Anyway, if you
plan to use 1000s of sources, I think the best way is to use a voxelized
source if possible in your case, or, better, to write a new source type
that fulfill your needs. For that, have a look at the file GateVSource,
GateSourceMgr in the source code and create your own by inheriting from
GateVSource (like for example GateSourcePhaseSpace or GateSourceLinacBeam).

If your new source type is generic enough, it could even be integrated in
next versions of Gate.

Sincerely,
David

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 5:05 AM, 山中 琢 <takuyama at med.hokudai.ac.jp> wrote:

> Hello Gaters,
>
> I've been trying to set a background source distribution for a NEMA
> phantom which has a complicated shape, so I tried using forbid and confine
> command.
> But it didn't go well, it only gave me tons of errors and breaks, so now
> I'm using randomly placed multiple point sources to imitate the background
> source.
>
> Another question arises here; how many sources GATE can handle? When I ran
> a simulation with more than 10000 point sources, it seems to be frozen upon
> reading the source part.
> A part of my source macro is given below, and it goes on for 10000 times.
> Should I use voxelized source instead?
> Or, is there any way to set a background source activity for a given
> volume?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Taku
>
> ------
> system:
> MacOS10.7.5
> GATE6.1
>
> /gate/source/addSource 1
> /gate/source/1/gps/centre -4.71928     -14.9742      1.68563 cm
> /gate/source/1/setActivity 5000. becquerel
> /gate/source/1/gps/particle e+
> /gate/source/1/gps/energytype Fluor18
> /gate/source/1/gps/angtype iso
> /gate/source/1/setForcedUnstableFlag true
> /gate/source/1/setForcedHalfLife 6586 s
> /gate/source/1/gps/type   Point
>
> /gate/source/addSource 2
> /gate/source/2/gps/centre -8.4103      0.36047     -16.3684 cm
> /gate/source/2/setActivity 5000. becquerel
> /gate/source/2/gps/particle e+
> /gate/source/2/gps/energytype Fluor18
> /gate/source/2/gps/angtype iso
> /gate/source/2/setForcedUnstableFlag true
> /gate/source/2/setForcedHalfLife 6586 s
> /gate/source/2/gps/type   Point
>
> and so on...
>
> --
> Hokkaido University,  Graduate school of medicine, medical physics and
> engineering D1
> 北海道大学 大学院 医学研究科 医学物理工学分野 D1
> Taku Yamanaka
> 山中 琢
>
> takuyama at med.hokudai.ac.jp
> --

David Sarrut, Phd
Chargé de recherche CNRS
CREATIS, UMR CNRS 5220, Inserm U 1044
Centre de lutte contre le cancer Léon Bérard
28 rue Laënnec, 69373 Lyon cedex 08
Tel : 04 78 78 51 51 / 06 74 72 05 42
http://www.creatis.insa-lyon.fr/~dsarrut