[Gate-users] RangeTranslator

Marc Chamberland MarcChamberland at cmail.carleton.ca
Mon Feb 25 17:49:09 CET 2013

Hi Mariam,

The question is not stupid. The documentation is not quite clear and it makes assumptions on the user's prior knowledge.

The range in question is the range of pixel values in your voxelized phantom (or source) that you want to attribute to a particular material.

If you look at the time activity curve example in the examples folder of Gate v6.2, you'll find a folder named data and inside of it, the file named range.dat. This is the range translator for the voxelized phantom used in this example. This file looks like this:

 4
  0      0       Air false 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 1.0
  6      6       Lung false 0.8 0.8 0.8 1.0 1.0
  15      15      Breast false 0.5 0.5 0.5 1.0 1.0
  29     36      RibBone true 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0

The first line says that we have four materials. The second line says that every pixel with a value between 0 and 0 in your voxelized phantom corresponds to the material Air. Then, every pixel with a value between 6 and 6 corresponds to the material Lung. Every pixel with a value between 15 and 15 corresponds to Breast. Finally, pixels that have a value between 29 and 36 are assigned to RibBone.

The red, blue, green and alpha values determine what colour and how opaque these materials show up when you view your phantom. Learn more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RGBA_color_space

And the reason the same material was defined several times in your example, was just to show that you could have the same material show up different colour when its pixel value is different.

I hope this helps.

Marc

Marc Chamberland, MSc
PhD candidate