[Gate-users] X11 crashes with OGLS driver

Didier Benoit benoit at imnc.in2p3.fr
Thu Oct 6 15:52:44 CEST 2011

Hi Jean-Michel,

I never seen this problem before. Have you tested with this command
'/vis/open OGL' instead of '/vis/open OGLSX'? And what is exactly the
error message? Is it only a 'segmentation fault'?

Kind regards
Didier Benoit

On 10/06/2011 11:24 AM, Jean-Michel Barbet wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Some users in our lab are experiencing X11 crashes on their SL5.5/i386
> workstation when they try to visualize with the driver OGLS. The driver
> OGLI works though they report it to be less performant.
>
> This is geant4 4.9.4.p01 and I can reproduce the problem with the
> example A01 the following way :
>
> ../bin/Linux-g++/A01app
> Geant4 version Name: geant4-09-04-patch-01 (18-February-2011)
> Copyright : Geant4 Collaboration
> Reference : NIM A 506 (2003), 250-303
> WWW : http://cern.ch/geant4
> [...]
> Idle> /vis/open OGLSX
> Idle> /vis/drawVolume => CRASH or Segfault
>
> I tried several workstations with different graphic hardware including
> Intel and Nvidia and got the same result. I tried to disable the
> graphics acceleration but it is no better.
>
> => Any similar experiences ? What can we do ?
>
> JM (system administrator and user support on scientific applications)

Didier BENOIT, GATE Engineer
Imagerie et Modélisation en Neurobiologie et Cancérologie (IMNC)
IMNC – UMR 8165 CNRS – Université Paris 7 – Université Paris 11
Campus d’Orsay
Bâtiment 440
91406 ORSAY Cedex

Tél : (33) 1 69 15 68 76