[Gate-users] Impossible (or Improbable ) timestamps for Randoms Coincidences

KB kd8had at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 20:39:48 CEST 2008

Thanks for the message, Paul.

I noticed that the timing for the lower end of the coincidences has a sharp
cut off as one would expect. the problem is with the upper end. So if one
were interested in count rates, I wonder what is the right method is to
treat the randoms (with timing greater than the coincidence window):

a) ignore them by imposing a sharp cut off in the root analysis file.
b) Use all the parameters (detection position, energy etc) but assign a
random time to make it fall within the coincidence window.

I list these obvious steps (a and b ) because it seems the no of events with
the 'wrong' time is significant (about 8-9% for the NEMA scatter phantom
with 2.2 mCi).

Total Randoms              = 362852
Randoms with TOF > 0  = 31539       (the wrong timing ones).

So is the 'correct' no of randoms (362852-31539) or 362852.

Thanks.
Karthik.