[Gate-users] RE: Save random flag versus ROOT output

Maria Holstensson Maria.Holstensson at icr.ac.uk
Thu Jan 31 10:53:07 CET 2008

Dear Marcin,

Thank you for your reply! Yes, at the moment my solution is the one you
suggest - to include the ROOT output. But my simulations are run on an
external grid, and because the files are so big it takes a long time to
download the output files. Therefore I delete the ROOT files before
downloading.

Regarding the ASCII output, yes I have had a look at these in Excel and
they are truncated because the list is too long. But are they also
truncated when analysing them with C-scripts such as
benchmark_projections.c and benchmark_spectra.c? That wouldn't be
ideal...

Thanks again,
Maria

>>> Marcin Balcerzyk <m.balcerzyk at pluri.ucm.es> 31/01/2008 08:49 >>>
Dear Maria.

I have a dirty solution to your problem. Once I checked whether adding
ASCII
output gateSingles.dat and gateCoincidences.dat (without file size
limit) to
root output would slow my simulation which was running 10hrs of
calculation
of 10s. To my surprise it did not. I had only hits, coincidences and
singles
in root file. So if you can afford the disk space, just leave root
files and
then delete them.

My advice however is to process root files with root C code then to
work
with ASCII files. Excel can import only 65k rows.

Marcin Balcerzyk

Univesrsitad Complutense de Madrid

This e-mail message is confidential and for use by the addressee only.  If the message is received by anyone other than the addressee, please return the message to the sender by replying to it and then delete the message from your computer and network.