Re: RE: RE: [Gate-users] [ no subject ]

Jasmine Schirmer jasmine.schirmer at tum.de
Thu Dec 20 11:22:39 CET 2007

Dear Yu Chen,

Thank-you for all your suggestions.

Regarding the readout depth, we have intentionally set this to 5 because we are simulating a small animal PET scanner which indeed has individual crystal electronic readout. This has never given problems with the old version of GATE. The intercrystal coincidences are still expected to be
zero at 400 keV low energy threshold (independent of the readout depth) because it cannot be
that the same annihilation photon (511 keV) deposits twice 400 keV (=800
keV). At lower "low energy thresholds" (below 255 keV for an ideal
detector, no blurring in energy), our system can detect intercrystal
coincidences due to the individual crystal readout, which is simulated as readout
depth 5. We have checked now for you, and both versions of GATE are running the same single layer macro (i.e. the same readout depth 5). We do not believe that the problem lies here because we have also tested the ECAT simulation as well and it also gives the strange energy spectra when using the newest version of GATE (please see our plots in the November 29th email).

We have performed the energy blurring test you recommmended and in our GATE3.1.2 set the energy blurring resolution to 0.01. The attached figure (Gate312_energy_singles_1percent_blurr.ps) shows the result and the output of the simulation for a 400keV low energy threshold is:

There are: => 868148 singles
=> 35080 coincidences
=> 4097 intercrystal coincidences
=> 9900 randoms