[Gate-users] Fwd: FW: Difference in energy spectrum for first and second event in cylindrical PET system

yuxuan.zhang at di.mdacc.tmc.edu yuxuan.zhang at di.mdacc.tmc.edu
Mon Aug 27 17:09:43 CEST 2007

Hi,

This effect is not something new. One or two years ago someone already
found this and reported here.
At that time I was also curious about this so I spent some time looking
into it. After reading the source
code, my conclusion is that this result is caused by the GATE code about
how it processing the energy
deposit from hits.

When two gamma ray photons travel inside the material, GATE records all
the energy deposit in an array.
Then in the "adder" process, GATE will add up all the energy deposits from
the same gamma photon and
stored in one of the cells in the same array. During this step, the gamma
photon with a higher total deposited
energy will always stored in front of the other gamma photon (or after, I
can remember clearly). So in
the output file the photon1 and photon2 are just a label, it does not
represents the original photon1 or
photon2.

So if you really want the spectrum of the coincidences, just add the
photon1 and photon2 together.

Yuxuan

Irène Buvat <buvat at imed.jussieu.fr>
Sent by: gate-users-bounces at lists.healthgrid.org