[gate-users] about the sources

yuxuan.zhang at di.mdacc.tmc.edu yuxuan.zhang at di.mdacc.tmc.edu
Mon Dec 12 22:29:42 CET 2005

Hi,

I need to do some simulation about the resolutions of PET.
There are three types of sources in GATE: backtoback gamma
pairs; predefined F18, O15 and C11 positron sources, and
all kinds of isotope sources defined in Geant4.

According to the GATE developer, the positron sources of
F18, O15 and C11 are the only sources that simulate the acolinearity.
However, using these three sources, the positron range effect are
not included. If we use the isotope sources, then the acolinearity
are not include. So is there anybody knows a way that I can
include the positron range and acolinearity in one simulation
setup?

Also according to the GATE manual, there are some command like
/gate/source/gps/mintheta
/gate/source/gps/maxtheta
/gate/source/gps/minphi
/gate/source/gps/maxphi
can be used to limit the range of the direction of the source
which can reduced the simulation time if the detector angle are
small. Using these commands with backtoback gamma source is very
helpful. However, if I am using the positron or isotope sources,
looks like there's no physics meaning to using these commands,
since the direction of the gamma ray pairs should be independed
from the original particles. If this is true, then is there any
other method to set the range limit to direction of the gamma ray
pair?

Yuxuan