[gate-users] Maximum file size exceeded problem

Giovanni Santin giovanni.santin at cern.ch
Mon Sep 27 13:10:35 CEST 2004

dear amarnath

here it is
I attach a small patch to the existing distribution, I think it contains
all the necessary files.
Please note that this is not an official release of the code, so I just
hope that it's working properly and not creating problems ;-)
(it will probably come out in the next release, anyway)

Below you can find the documentation that will come out in the
next release regarding these changes.

Giovanni
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Giovanni Santin
Space Environments and Effects Analysis
ESA - ESTEC - TEC-EES
Keplerlaan 1, 2200 AG Noordwijk, Netherlands
e-mail: giovanni.santin at esa.int
Tel: +31 71 565 6267
Fax: +31 71 565 4999

Selection of the variables in Singles$/$Coincidences ASCII output

The user can select with a macro command which variables he/she wants in
the ASCII file.
The mechanism is based on a mask with a mask, i.e. a series of
0/1, one for each variable. By default all variables are enabled, but one
can choose to enable only some of the variables listed before.
One example is:

/gate/output/ascii/setCoincidenceMask 1 0 1 0 1 1
/gate/output/ascii/setSingleMask 0 0 1 1

Note: the VolumeID variables are enabled/disabled together, as a group.
The component of the
3D vectors, instead, like the positions (components x,y,z), are
enabled/disabled one by one.

Large files: automatic file swap for the ASCII output

When a user defined limit is reached by the Coincidence or Single ASCII
output file, by default Gate closes the file and opens another one with
the same name but a suffix \_1 (and then \_2, and so on).
By default the file limit is fixed to 2000000000 bytes.
One can change the number of bytes with a command like

/gate/output/ascii/setOutFileSizeLimit 30000

If the value is < 10000, no file swapping is made (to avoid creating
thousands of files by mistake).

For example, if one doesn't have a limit in the Operating System, he/she
can put the number to 0, and there will be only one large (large) file in
the end.

In case of high statistics applications, one might consider enabling only
the ROOT output, which contains the same information as the ASCII one,
but automatically compressed (and, in addition, ready for analysis).