[gate-users] LYSO definition in materials.db is correct

Claude Comtat comtat at ieee.org
Mon Sep 6 10:21:13 CEST 2004

Hi Stefaan,

LYSO  (Lu(2-x)YxSiO5:Ce) can have different amount of Lutetium and its
density will depend on this amount. From "Scintillation Properties of
LYSO Cystals" by T. Kible et al. (MIC-2002), we have:

Percent     Density
Lutetium    g/cc
100            7.4
70              6.5
50              6.0
30              5.4
15              4.9

The LSO density is 7.4 g/cc and YSO density 4.5 g/cc.

The LYSO that is defined in materials.db is  from CTI Inc. (Knoxville,
TN, U.S.A.) and corresponds to
Lu0.6Y1.4SiO5:Ce. It is used for the ECAT HRRT scanner. You can find its
properties in "Investigation of the Properties of New Scintillator LYSO
and recent LSO Scintillators for Phoswich PET Detectors" by C.M. Pepin
et al. (MIC-2002). The quoted density is 5.37 g/cc.

All the best,

Claude Comtat