[gate-users] Supported Scanners

Mutanga Theodore muathe02 at student.umu.se
Wed Nov 24 18:53:23 CET 2004

> Dear Theo,
>
> indeed, there is no problem in simulating the geometry of an Advance
> scanner with GATE. An other problem is the sinogram output format. The
> ECAT system was designed to allow an ECAT7 formatted output sinogram
> that mimics the native format of the ECAT scanners. If you want to
> replicate the Advance sinogram file format, you will have to code it
> yourself. For this, you have different possibilities:

thanks very much Claude

> 1) you create a new system inside GATE and implement the characteristics
> of the Advance file format. It is not too complicated; you'll need to
> duplicate the ecat system and modify it according to your needs

I am interested in this option but it doesnt seem straightforward to me
axcept I get some help from you or someone else.

> 2) you can use the sinogram output --- and not the ecat7 output --- of
> the ECAT system (the .ima and .dim files), as you mentioned, and write
> your own code to rewrite it in the Advance format (there is no program
> so far that can be used to read these files). This sinogram output is a
> raw format, with one 2D sinogram per crystal ring pair.

This looks similar to what Sadek has done with the discovery LS , if he
can give me some more clues, Ill be grateful

> 3) you can write your own root macro to convert the root output into an
> Advance formatted sinogram.

 I dont knwo if I can manage with the root programming.....

> 4) you can use the CylindricalPET system with an LMF output, and use
> stir to convert it into sinogram. However, I do not know if the current
> version of LMF can handle the Advance geometry.

This is what I am planning to embark on for the moment, but since you are
not sure about the lmf being able to handle the Discovery ST , LS geometry
I don't know if I'll be doing it in vain.. Who can I ask about the lmf
support for Discovery LS and ST ?

We were planning to get in contact with GE to find out about the
arrangement of the projection planes, but I don't know if my supervisor
has succeeded in getting in contact with them.

Ill keep looking and I appreciate all the help from the GATE team .

Regards
Theo