[Gate-users] How to measure the X-rays scattered by the phantom when they enter the detector?

David Leibold D.Leibold at tudelft.nl
Thu Sep 1 17:35:31 CEST 2022

Dear Masa,

May I summarise your requirements:

1) You mention that you want to simulate a CsI detector, but with 100 % detection efficiency and no interaction within the detector.

2) You would like to distinguish between scattered and primary rays.

3) A monochromatic pencil beam enters a phantom.

My suggestion:

I would suggest using a phase space actor (see the documentation here<https://opengate.readthedocs.io/en/latest/tools_to_interact_with_the_simulation_actors.html#phase-space-actor>), which registers each particle's energy, position, velocity etc. crossing its surface. Since you do not want to simulate interaction in your CsI detector material, there is no need to use it in the first place.

Since you are using a pencil beam, all primary photons will go straight through your phantom, intersecting your detector at, for example, point (0,0). All scattered radiation will intersect your detector away from point (0,0). Hence, you can filter out the scatter and primary rays purely based on where they end up on your detector.

To set up your detector, use e.g. a box volume with the desired size, fill it with vacuum, and attach a phase space actor to it.

If you need more help, please let us know.

Best regards,
David