[Gate-users] Questions about LET and average LET calculation in Gate

Andreas Resch andreas.resch at meduniwien.ac.at
Tue Mar 29 11:09:03 CEST 2022

Dear Guangru Li,

thank you for carefully reading the Gate documentation. Indeed, the user
manual was not consistent and up to date. I just changed it (you can
look at it in the pull request now, or in the official documentation in
some days).

1. It is computeElectronicDEDX ; note that the restricted LET
calculation option, which the second sentence referred to, is now
removed in the documentation as this implementation is not sufficiently
validated.

2. Parallel computation: If you only simulate on a single CPU you do not
need to worry about it. However, if you split your simulation into
several simulations I would recommend the following. Looking at the
formula for e.g. dose averaged LET:

  let's assume this is the sum over all contributions and Ld = n/d. Now
this shall now be randomly subdivided into j computations, the numerator
would look like n = n1 + n2 + ... nj and d correspondingly. Ld = (n1 +
n2 + ... ) / (d1 + d2 + ...);  Therefore, the LET actor allows you to
score the numerator and denominator of this equation separately.

best,

Andreas