[Gate-users] Potential bug report of Edep in DoseActor (Edep always == 1 Mev for any Ion)

Albert Grace Lieu albertnew2018 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 01:27:06 CET 2021

Hi Loïc,

Thank you very much for actively answering DoseActor related questions in
the past ten years. I saw your answers in the GATE archive quite often. I
did read through almost all example codes in GATE-RTiON, but I did not find
the example where DoseActor is used to record energy deposited by ions for
dosimetry.

Here is the problem I have found with Edep in DoseActor, a similar question
<http://lists.opengatecollaboration.org/pipermail/gate-users/2009-July/003406.html>
was also asked many years ago. No matter what source I use, like I-131,
Lu-177, Edep in DoseActor always returns *1 (Mev) per disintegration*. Dose
in DoseActor also utilizes the value returned Edep, which leads to a wrong
result. I would rather believe that I made a mistake somewhere than think
GATE's DoseActor failed in my case.

Could you or any other GATE user have a look at my code? It is
self-containt code. You will finish the entire verification in less than 5
minutes. Here is what the GATE code does:

   - Phantom: 101*101*101 voxelized tissue ( water equivalent) phantom,
   with a side of 2 mm for each voxel
   - Source: 10 mm radius sphere voxelized Lu177 source with a side of 2 mm
   for each voxel, and being placed in the center of the phantom
   - DoseActor: record dose, Edep, and export a mass image of the phantom
   (all 3D array)
   - ProductionAndStoppingActor: record the number of Lu177 generated in
   each voxel, indicated by Lu177-Stop (3D array)

        According to the user manual, "The unit of edep is MeV and the unit
of dose is Gy".

You will also find a python script (result-analysis.ipynb) to do the
analysis:

   - reads dose, edep, mass, and particle-prod
   - calculate the average energy deposited by a single disintegration.

Thank you very much for any help and verification.

Albert