[Gate-users] Materials with user-defined isotope abundances

Konstantinos P. Chatzipapas konhat88 at yahoo.gr
Mon Apr 5 21:14:50 CEST 2021

Hello again,
I think that for your application you should probably try Geant4, because, as the user guide states:
"In contrast with Geant4, Gate does not use isotopic abundances. This omission has little bearing on Gate applications because isotopic abundances are unimportant in low to mid energy photon and charged particle interactions. In fact, this distinction is only important for enriched or depleted materials interacting with neutrons or, high energy (>5 MeV) photons or charged particles."

...Or, you could modify some classes of GATE to be able and run such simulation.

Regards,Konstantinos
----------------------------------------------------- Konstantinos Chatzipapas
    Medical Physicist, MSc
       University of Patras
 web: Physics Magazine

    Στις Δευτέρα, 5 Απριλίου 2021, 07:32:53 μ.μ. EEST, ο χρήστης APSARA TENNAKOON <apsara at connect.hku.hk> έγραψε:

 Hello Konstantinos,
Thank you!
To test this, I have tried simulating a proton beam in a phantom made only from Heavyoxygen (Z=8, A=18 g/mole).
I do not expect any 16-O in this phantom. However, from the simulation output, it seems that there are "protonInelastic" events occurring between protons and 16-O.
Is it possible that GATE sees Heavyoxygen, only recognizes a Z=8 element and simulates events for all its isotopes according to their abundances?
If it is pertinent, I am using physics list QGSP_BIC_HP.
Apsara