[Gate-users] The best PC features for installing GATE 9.0

Nils Krah nils.krah at creatis.insa-lyon.fr
Wed Nov 4 11:21:51 CET 2020

Hi Lina,

​I am not sure what you intend by "good choice"? Gate should certainly install and run on the hardware you quote. It runs on any laptop. Computation time is clearly a matter of hardware performance (CPU mainly) and it depends on the kind of simulation you perform. In some cases, you need parallelization on clusters, rather than single machines.

​The GPU is irrelevant because GATE runs on CPU. Your RAM should be sufficient - it's usually not an issue anyhow because GATE rarely stocks large amounts of data in RAM I believe (but I let experts confirm). ROOT dumps data asynchronously along the simulation I think rather than cumulating it in memory.

​So I suggest: install GATE, run your simulation and see if it's quick enough for you.

​​Hope that helps. ​

​

​By the way: Please write separate emails to the list for distinct topics rather than responding into an existing thread!

​

​Nils

​

​