[Gate-users] Is photoneutron yield in Gate/Geant4 underestimated?

von Vangerow Johannes Johannes.vonVangerow at ptw.de
Tue Mar 3 18:02:03 CET 2020

Dear Nicolas,

many thanks for your suggestion. I included the ShieldingLEND physics list in GATE as you suggested. Using the new model, the neutron production rate is closer to what I expect from a simple calculation. Yet, it is still a factor 40-50% less than the calculated value. I’m not shure what is still causing this deviation. I’m using  the photoneutron crosssections from Dietrich  et al. (https://doi.org/10.1016/0092-640X(88)90033-2) for my calculations.

In Geant4, I get reasonable results using the Hadr03 example with a modified version GammaNuclearPhysics.cc including LEND processes as suggested here<https://geant4-forum.web.cern.ch/t/understimating-neutron-flux/999/10>. Do you know if there is a way to use this modified Version of GammaNuclearPhysics.cc in GATE?

Best regards

Johannes