[Gate-users] max number of particles problem

Gary Smith gsmith23 at ph.ed.ac.uk
Mon Sep 16 10:06:17 CEST 2019

Hi Dimitrios,
I believe the limit is caused by the use of INT variable type in Geant4 for the number of particles.

You can just run a similar second simulation but ensure to set a different random seed.

http://lists.opengatecollaboration.org/pipermail/gate-users/2007-June/001906.html

Best wishes,
Gary Quoting Dimitrios Thanasas <dthanas at uoa.gr> on Fri, 13 Sep 2019 14:49:09 +0300:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I noticed that the simulation doesn't proceed when I use more than 2E+9
> particles. Does anyone know how I can use more than 2 billion particles?
> I found the command "/gate/output/ascii(binary)/setOutFileSizeLimit" at
> the User's Guide but it doesn't work.
> Moreover I don't want ascii files as I use dose actors for dose
> calculations and I want many particles to reduce the dose uncertainty.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Dimitris Thanasas

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.