[Gate-users] Volume IDs for Generic "Scanner" System

Josh Knowland jknowland at lucernodynamics.com
Mon Oct 28 17:48:30 CET 2019

All - for future users that might find this email chain, I think I have solved the problem.

I was able to get volume IDs correctly in the ascii singles file by using a repeater to define geometry at each level.

Essentially, I had to define a "scanner" volume with a Child1 within it. Then, I used a linear repeater to make copies of Child1 and then Child1 was set to be a crystalSD. Next, I assigned Child1 to be level1 of the "scanner" system. At that point, the level1 VolumeID column in the ascii output would have multiple entries corresponding to each repeated copy of Child1.

Unfortunately, this seems to be the only way to have crystals within a volume (not directly in the "world"). Furthermore, in order to have multiple crystals, it seems you have to use a repeater because GATE won't allow multiple volumes to be assigned to one "level".

This current functionality is useless to me since I'm using STLs to define geometry and can't use a repeater.

If anyone sees a way around this, please let me know. Below is a simplified restatement of what I need to do:

All geometry is defined by STL files.
I need to know singles for each crystal and need to use dose actors.
I used bones with marrow as examples, but any hierarchy of organs might be needed.
[cid:image001.jpg at 01D58D8D.FF01A260]

-josh