[Gate-users] problem with bremsstrahlung absorbed dose

Ashok Tiwari tiwarias at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 1 19:52:31 CEST 2019

Dear Gaters,

I am simulating the beta isotopes for the absorbed dose and the dose kernels calculations. Generated dose kernels look similar to the published kernels; however, I am not getting the absorbed dose due to the bremsstrahlung process. As bremsstrahlung is dominant at high energies, I am supposed to get the energy straggling tail due to this process.

Followings is the physics model I am using in my code:

/gate/physics/addPhysicsList  emstandard_opt3
/gate/physics/addProcess RayleighScattering
/gate/physics/processes/RayleighScattering/setModel PenelopeModel

It looks like bremsstrahlung is included in the emstandard_opt3 list. But I have also checked the following combination:

/gate/physics/addPhysicsList  emstandard_opt3
/gate/physics/addProcess RayleighScattering
/gate/physics/processes/RayleighScattering/setModel PenelopeModel
/gate/physics/addProcess Bremsstrahlung
/gate/physics/processes/Bremsstrahlung/setModel StandardModel e-
/gate/physics/processes/Bremsstrahlung/setModel StandardModel e+

Could anyone help me to understand why I am not getting dose due to bremsstrahlung process? Do I need to modify my physics list to include it in my calculations?
Thank you for your help in advance.

Regards,
Ashok