[Gate-users] MESH as a Source

Maxime Chauvin maxime.chauvin at inserm.fr
Mon Feb 5 11:01:31 CET 2018

Dear Maikol,

Meshes volumes are not available as a source in GATE.

Something you can do is to define a bigger volume as a source (like a sphere) that contain your meshe volume entirely,
and use the confine option to eliminate all positions outside the meshe.

In the GATE wiki http://wiki.opengatecollaboration.org/index.php/Users_Guide:Source :
The command:

 /gate/source/NAME/gps/confine NAME_phys
specifies that the emission must be confined to a volume of the Geant4 geometry. In this case, the emission distribution is the intersection of the General Particle Source (GPS) and the Geant4 volume. The Geant4 volume must be specified by its physical volume name: GATEname + '_phys'.

Depending on your meshe this will take some time as many primary particles generated will be discarded. To speed up this, try to define a simple volume (like a sphere) with a shape and size as close as possible to your meshe but still including all of the meshe volume.

Best regards,
  Maxime