[Gate-users] error in Gate instllation

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 08:58:00 CET 2018

Hi,

On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 at 09:05, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Dec 2018 at 23:16, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> > On Tue, 4 Dec 2018 at 16:31, Meysam Dadgar wrote:
> > >
> > > I have a problem in gate installation in mac os terminal. when I am trying to install in via
> > >  $ sudo port install gate
> > > these error come up
> > > PS , I have root 6 on my mac, I appreciated any answers
> > >
> > > best regards
> > > Meysam
> >
> > I'm the one responsible for the broken package, sorry for that.
> >
> > The problem is that I have no clue why the updated GUI package doesn't
> > work. (Was Gate tested against Qt5?)
> >
> > I have the latest version under
> >     https://github.com/mojca/macports-ports/tree/geant-gate
> > (look under science/gate)
> >
> > but there are some issues left, both with Geant4 as well as with Gate.
> > I believe that the command-line version should work though.
>
> I updated the port, but while it builds just fine on my computer, it
> apparently failed on the server:
>     https://trac.macports.org/ticket/57735

Just to let you know: if you are using macOS 10.13 or later, the
installation should work out of the box with
    sudo port selfupdate
    sudo port install gate

If you are using an older one, I need to make sure that a newer
compiler is used because ROOT6 is now compiled with a C++17 switch and
anything older than Xcode 9 apparently won't work. If you need support
for an older mac, it might be easiest to continue the discussion on
the IRC channel or mailing list for MacPorts since this is a bit
off-topic. In the meantime I'll try to figure out how to fix Gate down
to OS X 10.9 at least, it just might take some time, someone else
succefully compiled it on 10.9 with some manual intervention. (I don't
currently have access to a VM or other system in the 10.9-10.12 range
to test, so it might take a bit longer.)

I would be grateful for feedback about whether and how it works on
10.13 or newer though.

I wasn't able to launch the Qt interface for a mysterious reason, but
the command-line "Gate" command does work (not sure if there are other
major issues with it as I didn't perform any other intensive test).

I don't know if Qt5 vs Qt4 plays any role; Gate is full of some "Qt4"
conditionals, while Geant4 is now compiled against Qt5 by default.
Maybe we should check Qt4 as well.

Mojca