[Gate-users] How to use multithread on Gate 7.2

David Boersma david.boersma at igp.uu.se
Mon Jun 26 12:01:13 CEST 2017

Hi Mery MB,

We would love to run GATE in multithreaded mode, but for the time being
that is not yet working. We think we may have to wait until Geant5 (no
typo: Geant version five) is released. That will not happen any time
soon. Also GATE internally needs a lot of work to be "thread-safe".

So in order to make full use of your multicore system, I would advise to
treat it as a "cluster". You can install your favorite job submission
system (I am using HTCondor, which is very easy to install on Ubuntu)
and then just split up your simulation into many jobs that can be run in
parallel. Make sure that you never exceed the available RAM (by being
careful with your GATE macro, configuring your job management system to
not allow more jobs when the RAM is almost completely used, or by
throwing more money at it and installing more RAM, or etc). Also be
careful with hyperthreading. On my own "number cruncher", the "htop"
program reports 16 cores, but physically it has actually only 8 cores. I
noticed that hyperthreading slows down GATE, even if there is enough
RAM. So on my system I configure HTCondor to *not* use hyperthreading,
running 8 jobs in parallel gives a slightly higher throughput than
running 16 jobs in parallel: with 16, each individual job runs a bit
more that 2x slower than with 8. YMMV.

There are several tools and scripts/programs floating around to assist
you running GATE on clusters. AFAIK, all these tools (including "gjs"
that is included in the GATE source tree) are tailored for specific use
cases. If you tell us about your own intended use case then maybe some
other mailing list members with similar use cases can advertise their
favorite cluster tool to you.

(BTW: if anyone with some real concurrent programming experience happens
to read this message, please feel free to have a look at our code, and
share your thoughts and ideas about the way forward to MT-GATE  on the
gate-devel mailing list.)

Good luck,
David Boersma