[Gate-users] Gate dose to water problem

Luc SIMON uhqd75 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 17:23:47 CET 2017

Dear all and in particular:

*david.sarrut at creatis.insa-lyon.fr
<david.sarrut at creatis.insa-lyon.fr>gergely.patay at gmail.com
<gergely.patay at gmail.com>alexvergaragil at gmail.com
<alexvergaragil at gmail.com>thomas at deschler.fr <thomas at deschler.fr>*

*and all the authors of DoseActor.cc ...*

*Following the mail of Tony Younes we investigated this bug.*

*We found that the NaN values seem to come from DoseToActor.cc at this
level (l 360)*

    // Other particles should be taken into account (Helium etc), but bug ?
FIXME
    if (PartName== "proton" || PartName== "e-" || PartName== "e+" ||
PartName== "deuteron") {

      DEDX = emcalc->ComputeTotalDEDX(Energy, PartName, material, cut);
      DEDX_Water = emcalc->ComputeTotalDEDX(Energy, PartName, "G4_WATER",
cut);

doseToWater=edep/density/Volume/gray*(DEDX_Water/1.)/(DEDX/(density*e_SI));
    }
    else {
      DEDX = emcalc->ComputeTotalDEDX(100, "proton", material, cut);
      DEDX_Water = emcalc->ComputeTotalDEDX(100, "proton", "G4_WATER", cut);

doseToWater=edep/density/Volume/gray*(DEDX_Water/1.)/(DEDX/(density*e_SI));
    }

*In this "if" section sometimes DEDX and DEDX_Water are 0.0 and the
division 0 / 0 is NaN (please note that 3 / 0 is infinite, which is not a
NaN value...)*
This problem is fixed. But now another question : why in the "else" part
DEDX_water is computed for proton ????? (while proton should be considered
in the first part... )

Moreover, photons should not contribute to "dose". So why do we need this
"else" part ????

Thank you for your help.

Luc & Tony

> Hi,
>
> Could you send macros and output files?
>
> Best,
>
> Loïc

SIMON Luc, Physicien Médical, PhD
Département d'Ingénierie et de Physique Médicale - IUCT-Oncopole -
Toulouse, FRANCE
INSERM UMR 1037 (CRCT) - Equipe 15 - Toulouse, FRANCE