[Gate-users] problem with random number seed?

David Boersma david.boersma at physics.uu.se
Mon Feb 1 16:14:57 CET 2016

Hi,

It looks like Thomas Deschler was right: random number seeding in Gate
(current develop version, but I suspect the conclusions also hold for
release 7.1) only works correctly if the Geant4 10.1 libraries were
compiled with multithreading OFF. By "correctly" we mean: with "auto"
seeding you get a different seed every time you run it, and therefore
statistically independent outputs. If you use a geant4 installation
built with multithreading=ON, then successive Gate runs will give
identical outputs.

We verified this (on Linux and on MacOSX) by compiling Geant4 with and
without multithreading, and then building Gate with it. We ran Hediye's
minimal RT macro (shoot electrons on a target foil, and collect a
phasespace of the particles after it, stored in a ROOT output file). We
ran the macro twice (renaming the output directory in between). "Ekine"
histograms of the two runs were numerically identical when we ran *with*
multithreading and they were clearly different *without* multithreading.

Short term action item: it would be good to document this clearly in the
README file and/or the 7.1 installation guide on the wiki.

Medium/long term action item: fix Gate to work correctly with
multithreaded geant4.

I have more comments, but they are more technical, will submit them as
"issues" on GitHub.

HTH,
David B.