[Gate-users] Radioactive decay with general ion source and new physics list

Albert Hirtl albert.hirtl at meduniwien.ac.at
Tue Sep 2 13:45:49 CEST 2014

Dear Colleagues,

I have a question regarding the new physics list mechanism in GATE v7.0.
If I understood it correctly I do not need to specify the various
processes explicitly if I use, e.g.,

/gate/physics/addPhysicsList emstandard_opt3

However, if I run a simulation with the general ion source

/gate/source/addSource fluor18
/gate/source/fluor18/setActivity 500 becquerel
/gate/source/fluor18/gps/particle ion
/gate/source/fluor18/gps/ion 9 18 0 0
/gate/source/fluor18/gps/energytype Mono
/gate/source/fluor18/gps/monoenergy 0. MeV
/gate/source/fluor18/setForcedUnstableFlag true
/gate/source/fluor18/setForcedHalfLife 6586 s

and if I start the simulation with

/gate/application/setTimeSlice   1 s
/gate/application/setTimeStart   0 s
/gate/application/setTimeStop    1 s
/gate/application/startDAQ

I do not get any decaying particles. In order to get a signal I have to add

/gate/physics/addProcess RadioactiveDecay

So, isn't the advantage of the new mechanism, that I do not have to
define the processes explicitly? I guess if I ran the simulation with

/gate/application/setTotalNumberOfPrimaries

everything would be fine, right?

Additionally, if I use

/gate/physics/addPhysicsList  QGSP_BERT_EMY

I do not get any decay products no matter what I do...

Any comment would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Albert

--
Medizinische Universität Wien
Universitätsklinik für Radiologie und Nuklearmedizin

Tel.: +43 (0) 1 / 40400 55450

Web:
http://www.meduniwien.ac.at/user/albert.hirtl
http://www.meduniwien.ac.at/moccamed/