[Gate-users] Install GATE in Mac os Mavericks

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 16:55:47 CET 2014

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 4:20 PM, pmcorreia at ua.pt wrote:
> Dear all
>
> I finally managed how to run Gate in OSX 10.9, with graphical output.
>
> I follow your recomendations Mojca, I reinstalled geant4.9.6 with macports, with the option +opengl_x11, like this
>
> - sudo port install geant4.9.6+opengl_11
>
> After that, I reinstalled gate with macports
>
> - sudo port install gate
>
> Now when I run my macro file, the previous errors related with the OGLS doesn't appear, and I got the correct visualizer output.

Great. Now, it might make sense to try to figure out why that happens.
Whether that's a bug in Gate or Geant4. From what I faintly remember
the Geant4 installation manual/notes explicitly discourages users from
installing both Qt and X11 at the same time. Or at least provide some
warnings when doing that.

Given that almost nobody (if anyone at all) uses native windows
binaries and that the number of Mac users seems to be limited, I would
guess that most Gate users have X11 installed, so they don't run into
this particular problem.

> It might be useful if someone can compile this information and make it accessible in the GATE webpage, as an installation guide for MacOS users.

I agree. But before that it probably makes sense to make the port
official in order to skip the "dirty workaround" of having to fetch
files from elsewhere and setting up a local repository. If any Gate
developer is willing to exchange a few short emails with me to settle
a few issues (off-list), that would be great.

And thanks a lot for the feedback.

Mojca