[Gate-users] Ge68 source

Marc Chamberland MarcChamberland at cmail.carleton.ca
Fri Aug 31 15:26:26 CEST 2012

Hi Shelley!

I think you see no Ga-68 decay because it's simply not very likely to occur within your setup.

Look at it this way: your Ge-68 source just decayed to a single Ga-68 atom. From your output, you can see the kinetic energy of the Ga-68: 8.88 x 10^-8 MeV or 1.423 x 10^-20 J. Crunching some numbers, this means that the Ga-68 atom has a velocity of 502.3 m/s. This is quite fast! Now assume that if the Ga-68 travels approximately 1 m in any direction, it will escape the scanner (or even your World, in Gate); this is somewhat reasonable to assume. How long does it stay within your scanner (or World), then? Crunching more numbers, it takes approximately 0.002 s for the Ga-68 to travel 1 m. The decay constant of Ga-68 is approximately 0.00017 s^-1. Thus, the probability that the Ga-68 will decay within 0.002 s is only (0.00017)*(0.002) = 0.000034%! Your Ge-68 source will need to produce A LOT of Ga-68 to even see one single Ga-68 decay within your simulation setup!

Does this convince you?

As for your second question: you can add new energy distribution to Gate, but be careful not to use it when you use an ion source. As the Gate User's guide says: "In the case of ions, the kinetic energy must be 0 since the ions are at rest."

If you add a new energy distribution, you would use it with the other types of sources (e.g. back-to-back or particle). But then, you will not have the realistic decay models of the ion source type.

I hope this helps!
Marc

__________________________

Marc Chamberland, MSc
PhD candidate
Department of Physics
Carleton University
Ottawa (ON)

Le 2012-08-31 à 3:59 AM, xcao <xcao at mail.ihep.ac.cn> a écrit :

> hi,Marc!
>
> You suggestion give me much help and understanding. I'll test GateLab, hope it will work.
>
> Just as you say, for Ge-68, electron capture branching rations is included. But there are still something confused me.
> I change the verbose to get more information of output, and find that, for Ge-68, it will produce Ga-68, but Ga-68 will not decay,
> I can't understand why? In the attachment is the out of Ge-68 source and pure Ga-68 source.
>
> Another question is, whether can I put the enengy spectrum produced by "ion source" of Ga-68 into the Gate code of source/physics/src/GateSPSEneDistribution.cc,  the use a new energytype? This will also can save simulation time.
>
> Thank you very much!
>
> Shelley!
>

> 2012-08-31
> xcao