[Gate-users] Possibly a bug in GATE geometry check?

John Apostolakis john.apostolakis at cern.ch
Mon Oct 5 15:25:39 CEST 2009

Dear Ida,

I write from the perspective of a Geant4 developer - but the
observations should apply equally to any GATE application.

 - It is unexpected that using visualisation should change the result of
any geometry check.
 - The results of the recursive_test should be reasonably accurate; that
is at the limit of high statistics you should get a correct answer, and
using default number of trial lines you should get an answer which does
not vary from run to run.

There is another method to check a Geant4 geometry, which involves
checking every volume which is positioned to see that it does not
overlap with a volume at the same level or protrude from its parent
volume.  I am not certain whether this capability is exploited already
in Gate, in all or recent releases.

Best regards,
John A.