[Gate-users] Hollow sphere (shell) in water phantom: is it empty or filled with water?

Marc Chamberland mchamber at connect.carleton.ca
Fri Jun 12 17:19:18 CEST 2009

Hi Gate Users!

If I have a water phantom and I add a daughter phantom made out of
gold in the shape of a hollow sphere (basically, a shell; I define
rmax and rmin for the sphere) and place this shell in the centre of
the water phantom, is the inside of the sphere filled with water? Or
is it empty (vaccuum)? Is there a way to know what the material INSIDE
the sphere/shell is?

I have a second question, but I could probably figure it out by
myself. However, if someone feels like answering, it would be great:
if I confine a source to a hollow sphere, does the source need to be
within the walls of the sphere, or can it be placed in the centre
(hollow part) of the sphere?

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could answer my first
question. Thank you very much in advance!

Marc