[Gate-users] materials in GATE

John Apostolakis john.apostolakis at cern.ch
Thu Jul 9 20:30:27 CEST 2009

A small amplification/simplification on Niklas' correct explanation:

- Production thresholds are necessary in a simulation to ensure that
simulation time is not spent on a large number of very small energy
tracks which deposit all their energy right next to where they are
created.  (Large number due to the infra-red divergence of  delta
electrons created by ionisation.)

- A simple geometry can have only one set of production thresholds
( value for gammas, value for electrons ).

- In a complex geometry or one with regions with different importance
or characteristics, tuning the the production thresholds allows Geant4
to spend more time tracking particles important to the result.

- In order to save memory, Geant4 create only those combinations
(couples) of materials and cuts which are required by the definition
of the Regions in the setup, their corresponding cuts chosen by the
users, and the materials in the volumes of those regions.

- The report of the cuts-couples created can be turned off by a user
command (which I don't have in front of me, but could ask someone to
dig up.)

Regards,
John Apostolakis