[Gate-users] Linux OS compatibility

Simon Stute gate.stute at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 17:33:22 CET 2008

Hi Kent,

2008/3/6, Kent Riley <KRiley at rmdinc.com>:

> Dear Simon and other GATErs,
>
> On the topic of using a different OS....
>
> Has anyone tried porting GATE to Windows using Geant4 and MSVC (or other
> compiler)?  Any success?

Yes I already tried but using mingw cross compiler (that is totally free and
that doesn't use any dynamic library). I succeeded in compiling clhep but I
had to remove some parts using drand48 random generator (that do not exist
on windows and that is not used by Gate), then I succeeded in compiling
Geant4 libraries too (except for the OpenGL related one), but it took very
long time to modify a lot of little parts of code that gives errors with
mingw. After that I took ROOT precompiled libraries (with the aim to later
entirely compile ROOT with mingw, in order to get the executable files *) to
see what packages could miss to compile Gate. And I saw then that I needed
the xml2 package, the xml2-config program and other stuffs that I don't
remember yet. Because at this step my computer had some problems and I
nevertheless succeeded to make a backup of what I have done before it
completely died... And after that I never had the courage to reinstall all
the environment but I will do it some days when I will have time to do
this... To finish I will have to compile all the OpenGL package, the xml2
package and the other ones that I don't remember, then ROOT and finally Gate
:-)

* Because with the downloadable executables (compiled with cygwin or VC, the
only ones that the CERN gives us) you have to always have a dynamic library
that is under special licence and that avoid you to freely distribute any
program that uses this library. That means that any people who wants to use
your program have to download the cygwin distribution or VC utilities, and
my aim was to be able to freely distribute windows executables that work
without anything under licence different than the LGPL one.

I think that with a complete VC package this is much easier to succeed and
with a cygwin package too. So maybe it will be better to give up with mingw
and try with cygwin I think (because it is free), but Users will have to
install cygwin environment first (that is very heavy) before using the Gate
package. And if anybody wants to do that job, he is welcomed ;-) Because
once somebody has done this, the good point on Windows (yes, there are some
!) is that everybody could directly use the executables without compiling
again.

Cheers,
Simon

Regards,