[Gate-users] Merging of many root files with gjm

Hannes Hofmann opengate at f00f.de
Tue Jan 15 01:06:45 CET 2008

Hello,

how can I merge 4800 root files? I am getting the following error:

SysError in <TFile::TFile>: file ~/mac-files/foo_1019.root can not be
opened for reading (Too many open files)

It's probably a limit of the operating system, right?
Is divide-and-conquer merging possible? Which means to me: merge 8 times
600 root files into 8 intermediate files and merge those intermediate
files again into the final root file. Has someone done that before? What
could go wrong with that? I am only interested in Singles anyway.

Thanks,
Hannes