[Gate-users] Re: Difference in energy spectrum for first and second event in cylindrical PET system

Paul Vaska vaska at bnl.gov
Wed Aug 29 18:05:36 CEST 2007

Perhaps Yuxuan and I are both correct about the ordering of events in
the coincidence output.  According to Yuxuan, for true coincidences,
the higher energy single is listed first (single 1).  That is why
there is no fixed time order for true events and why the energy
spectra for single 1 and single 2 differ.  On the other hand, for
random coincidences, the event that is earlier in time is listed
first.  Note that the coincidence output corresponds to the prompt
time window and thus includes both true and random coincidences  (and
the energy spectra for single 1 and single 2 will be a mixture).  For
the delayed coincidence output, because the order depends on event
time, I agree with Andrew that the energy spectra should not differ.
However, this may be an artificial problem.  My point about sorting
by detector or detector pair is so that you avoid binning your data
based on artificial properties such as the order that events are
written to an output file.  What really matters is the energy
spectrum for a given detector, not the spectrum for a given column in
an output file.  Therefore, I'm not too worried that single 1 and
single 2 have different spectra (because 1 and 2 do not correspond to
any physical property), but would be very concerned if detector a and
detector b had different spectra (because this is not physically
possible).

Paul

Paul Vaska, Ph.D.
Medical Department, Building 490